Who were the Ottomans who invaded Egypt
Egypt 1798: Bonaparte destroyed the empire of Muslim war slaves
Shortly after landing in Egypt, the French general Napoleon Bonaparte defeated the Muslim Mamluks on July 21, 1798 outside Cairo. Thus the 550 years of rule of these Muslim war slaves from Central Asia and the Caucasus over the Nile country collapsed.
There are many reasons for sending the almost 40,000-strong army. The young revolutionary general Bonaparte, who had previously won large parts of Italy for France, dreams of renewed fame in the footsteps of Alexander the Great. The Directory, the government in Paris, fears his ambition and is happy to let him go. Egypt is said to be incredibly rich and is also an important stop for Great Britain in its Indian colonial empire. As part of the Second Coalition War, England was in the enemy camp.
After taking Alexandria on July 2nd, the French invade the Nile Delta. There the army of the Mamluks awaits them under their Beys Mourad and Ibrahim, who in fact exercise rulership. Egypt was conquered by the Ottomans at the beginning of the 16th century, but the regional rulers were able to retain their position.
Like the Ottoman Janissaries, the Mamluks are recruited from pagan slaves who, in their case, come from the Turkish-influenced Central Asia and the Caucasus region. They converted to Islam for service in the Garden of the Fatawid Caliphs and received a good education. Their commanders (sultans) took power in Egypt in the 13th century. Their victories over the Mongols in 1260 and crusaders in 1291 made them "defenders of Islam".
- Are freckles a sign of skin cancer
- What are the benefits of joining Vestige
- What are the odds of Russian roulette
- What is 4000 divided by 100
- Lamb tastes like chicken
- Which book is good for VITEEE
- How are our politicians good for India
- The stray capacity can be negative
- How much is the child tax credit worth
- How to write a book article
- The Easter Bunny visits Great Britain
- The best motivational film in the world
- Whataburger is just a Texan thing
- Where can I find a Gleim book
- What are Gibbs 50 rules in NCIS
- Is the Mandalorian on Disney any good
- Can I marry this relative
- Which is the best VPN mobile app
- What is Laplace transform for laypeople
- If 10x 4 24 what is x
- How many plane accidents are there every day
- How to make butter from yogurt
- 4000 V could turn off a person
- Why do people love reggae
- You can stream CNN for free
- How does dopamine signaling affect glutamate release?
- What is a trade line of credit
- Which companies are most interested in customer service?
- How is Ellen Page personally
- Is journalism a professional course
- How can I start assembly machining
- Which generation of Miata is the best
- Why is contribution important
- What is peak biased in surface roughness