How to store cast iron pans
Cast iron pan - cleaning and care
But stop. Before starting, there is a very important distinction to be made, because Not all cast iron is created equal! A distinction must be made between
a) raw, unsealed cast iron (e.g. RONNEBY BRUK cast iron pan MAESTRO) and
b) enamelled cast iron (e.g. CHASSEUR cast iron pan or BEKA cast iron pan ARÔME)
Cast iron that has been enamelled is much less sensitive to cleaning than raw, unsealed cast iron! It is therefore very important to determine what type of cast iron it is.
How do I recognize enamelled cast iron?
Enamelled cast iron can be recognized on the outside by the smooth, glass-like and often colorful exterior, while on the inside, somewhat rough, black enamelling can often be used. In addition, the base (the contact surface of the stove) of the enamelled cookware is not turned off, but rather smooth as glass.
Raw cast iron does not have an artificial seal, but is mostly burned in with oil in the factory to protect the surface from rust and to make it easier to use right from the start. Typical is a raw and therefore somewhat rough and coarse-looking surface with a black layer of burnt-in fat.
Cast iron in the dishwasher?
No, definitely not! Raw, unsealed cast iron without protective enamelling must not be cleaned in the dishwasher. Otherwise it would inevitably rust!
So always wash cast iron by hand and always as soon as possible after use. Let the hot pan cool down a little, then rinse the still warm pan thoroughly with plenty of hot water and a dish brush. Be careful not to rinse a hot pan with cold water!
In principle, you can also clean an iron pan with a scouring pad or steel wool, but you will very likely scrub away parts of the burn-in layer. If this happens, you can also simply re-brand your cast iron pan.
If possible, you should avoid using detergent. If food that smells very strongly has been fried, it may still be advisable to use a little washing-up liquid to remove odors from the pan. After using detergent, the pan must be rinsed particularly thoroughly with plenty of clean water so that no detergent residue remains in the pores of the cast iron.
Do not leave the cast iron pan in the soapy water!
Immediately after washing, dry the cast iron cookware very carefully. Ideally, you heat the cookware briefly on the stove again to expel any residual moisture from the pores of the cast iron.
When the cast iron is completely dry, you can put a little oil in the cookware and rub it out with a soft, lint-free cloth. This means that the cast iron is well protected and perfectly prepared for the next use.
What should you not use to clean a cast iron pan?
Solvent or bleach
Cast iron smells musty and unpleasant?
If your cast iron cookware smells bad, you have probably covered it with a lid and stored it in the kitchen cupboard. This is to be avoided. Always store cast iron open, i.e. only place the cover tilted (leave an air gap) or store the cover separately.
Cast iron cookware, the surface of which is sealed with enamel, is much easier to care for than raw, unsealed and burned-in cast iron. Enamelled cast iron does not rust either. Depending on the model, enamelled cast iron can therefore even be easily cleaned in the dishwasher (see manufacturer's instructions!).
If you wash it by hand, hot water, washing-up liquid and a dish brush will suffice. Stubborn food residues can be soaked in hot water for a while or boiled up briefly. Then rework with the dish brush.
Stubborn stains on the enamel can be removed with a mild scouring milk. Then rinse well.
After washing, dry the enamelled cast iron cookware thoroughly.
What should you not use to clean an enamelled cast iron pan?
- Steel wool
- Grill cleaning brushes, etc.
- corrosive liquids
- Solvent or bleach
- Why do we experience intuition
- Who the hell invented the sign
- Home birds are allowed in student dormitories
- What is the means of getting sleep
- Where can I find a Gleim book
- Slows down school WiFi Quora
- How do I find other call details
- Which chain restaurant has the best value
- Can you eat without your tongue
- How safe is Surat for business travelers
- Why haven't people used MySpace anymore
- How are Mumbai and Karachi twin cities
- What is Mike Tyson doing these days
- What are deep tensor neural networks
- How do you write binary
- What do you think of Mobile Legends
- Decorate your home for autumn
- What is the richest city in Fiji
- How can I get a ketogenic supplement?
- Michael Jackson had a perfect pitch
- What is the power of a desire
- How do I share my internet connection
- Aakash Udaipur is good
- What is the best ecommerce conference
- Where does YouTube get storage space from
- Takes place at BITS Goa Ragging
- If x x 99100 what is x
- Why are bicycle helmets so expensive
- What is the best custom made online website
- Is common sense subjective or objective
- What do chains symbolize
- What is the function of the instrumentation
- What are the side effects of ARV
- What are the most mistranslated Sanskrit words