What is an open infection
Infections are the most common and most serious cause of impaired wound healing.
Wound infections inhibit the healing process and can cause serious complications, such as blood poisoning. It is therefore important to identify and treat infections as early as possible.
++ More on the topic: Blood poisoning ++
Whether a wound infection occurs depends on the one hand on the number of germs and the type of pathogen and on the other hand on the general condition of the person affected.
Indications of wound infection
There are signs of infection directly in the wound area
- Pain in the wound area
- Presence of pus
- Function restriction
Other signs that could suggest infection are
- slowed wound healing
- foul sore odor
- Pocket formation at the bottom of the wound
- Discoloration of the wound (a greenish color indicates a Pseudomonas infection)
- increasing pain
- very sensitive and temporarily developing soft and reddish tissue that begins to bleed easily (granulation tissue). However, the formation of granulation tissue can also be a good sign that the wound is healing.
Diagnosis of wound infection
After a blood sample, the doctor will also receive information about a wound infection from the following changes in certain blood values:
The presence of dead tissue, accumulations of older blood or tissue fluid as well as foreign bodies in the wound favor the multiplication of the microorganisms and thus the development of an infection.
++ More on the topic: wounds ++
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Helga Quirgst, MSc
Prim. Dr. Boris Todoroff, Primary for Plastic Surgery, Hospital of the Sisters of Charity, Vienna
Dr. med. Stefanie Sperlich, Dr. med. Christian Maté
Probst W, Vasel beer goose A: wound management. Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, 2nd edition 2010
Voggenreiter G, Dold C (Ed.): Wundtherapie. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart-New York, 2nd edition 2008
- How should an INFJ choose their partner
- What is the best mini trampoline
- Biomedical research is a good career
- Are Peter and Jane Fonda related
- Are there any epigenetic effects of bullying
- When will UCLA financial assistance be paid out?
- Unhappiness is a positive evolutionary trait
- Sodium fluoride has deleterious effects
- What are some criticisms of euphemisms
- Why do people make money on YouTube
- What is H13 material
- How does Laguna Beach compare to Malibu
- How do I use a Tor Browser
- Why is there an error?
- What is the F2FS file system
- Is ghee milk free
- Sex removal surgery is possible
- What is the title of this electronic song
- What do you think of Kylie Jenner
- What exactly does fossil fuel mean scientifically
- How does zomato implement machine learning
- What part of Kashmir is peaceful
- How and why is yucca poisonous
- How do you control and stop bleeding