What is the freest country in the world
Global Peace Index 2020 - the most (in) peaceful countries on earth
From TRAVELBOOK | June 11, 2020, 5:20 pm
Every year the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) creates the Global Peace Index, which is supposed to show how the peacefulness of 163 countries is doing. According to the 2020 ranking, the situation in the world has deteriorated overall. But there is also good news: Germany, for example, is more peaceful this year than before. The results at a glance.
What is the world like? Where is it peaceful, where is there a crisis and where are there currently military conflicts and war? The Global Peace Index (GPI), published by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) since 2007, tries to answer these questions and gives an overview of the state of the world.
How is the peacefulness of a country measured?
On the basis of 23 qualitative and quantitative indicators, three major areas are examined: “The level of social security, the extent of ongoing national and international conflicts and the degree of militarization”, as stated in the GPI. This results in a score for each country. The lower this is, the more peaceful a country is classified and the higher its position in the ranking.
The pillars of peace or peacefulness include solid institutions, a well-functioning government, freedom of the press, low corruption rates and an environment that promotes business.
Also interesting: These are the happiest countries on earth
Corona pandemic has an impact on world peace
While the 2019 report showed a slight improvement compared to 2018, the situation in the Global Peace Index 2020 has worsened. Also due to the tension and uncertainty as a result of the corona pandemic.
Due to the new situation, in addition to the results of the Global Peace Index 2020 this year, the report also includes an analysis of the effects of the corona pandemic on peace in the world. This includes looking at positive characteristics such as "the attitudes, institutions and structures that create and maintain peaceful societies". It also examines how the consequences of the crisis, especially the economic consequences, will affect the preservation of peace in the coming years and which countries will recover best.
It is assumed, for example, that civil unrest in Europe will increase and that the African continent will be increasingly burdened by famine. In addition, the Institute for Economics and Peace assumes that the more peaceful countries, in which there are pillars of peace such as a functioning government and a solid business environment, will recover from the crisis more quickly than the countries whose situation was difficult before the crisis. However, the full extent and long-term effects of the pandemic on world peace could not be determined at this point in time.
The main results of the Global Peace Index 2020:
- Iceland, which does not have its own army, retains its status as the most peaceful country on earth. The state has held this position since 2008.
- New Zealand, Austria, Portugal and Denmark follow in the top five.
- Europe will remain the most peaceful region on earth in 2020 as well, although there has been a slight decline. 13 European countries are in the top 20 and only two European countries are not in the upper half of the overall ranking.
- The Middle East and North Africa remain the regions most affected by conflict and violence in the world.
- Afghanistan, torn by civil wars, is the most unpeaceful nation on earth for the second year in a row. Followed by Syria, Iraq, South Sudan and Yemen. With the exception of Yemen, all four have been among the least peaceful countries in the world since 2015.
- Two out of nine regions have become more peaceful according to GPI 2020: Russia and Eurasia (which are considered one region) and North America. The greatest improvements can be seen in Russia and Eurasia, where there has been advances in security and ongoing conflict; , North America improved in all of the three major areas.
- Germany's position is also better compared to the previous year: The country rose from 22nd place last year to 16th place in 2020 and is thus back in the top 20.
- South and Central America and the Caribbean show the greatest regional deteriorations. In South America, both the security situation and the level of militarization have deteriorated. In Central America and the Caribbean, ongoing conflicts threaten peace in the regions.
- Terrorism and internal conflicts continue to contribute significantly to the threat to peace around the world.
- The number of civil unrest has risen by 282 percent since 2011, and that of general strikes by as much as 821 percent. Most protests, riots and strikes took place in Europe during this period. In sub-Saharan Africa, civil unrest rose by more than 800 percent.
- Overall, the world will be less peaceful in 2020 than it was in the previous year. On average, the countries have deteriorated by 0.34 percent, with 81 countries becoming more peaceful and 80 less peaceful. This is the ninth deterioration in peace in twelve years.
The 20 most peaceful countries in 2020
2. New Zealand
8. Czech Republic
17.Norway (same score as Belgium)
The 20 Least Peaceful Countries in the Global Peace Index 2020
151. North Korea
155 Central African Republic
156. Democratic Republic of the Congo
160. South Sudan
- What's your favorite college football team
- Why can AI never replace good writers?
- How does love grow
- How can I join a public insurance company?
- How can I do a magic mantra
- What is classic rock
- How to track a fake number
- What are the best baby cribs
- Who sang the song Goodbye Earl
- Distribution transformers work with full efficiency
- What are the basic principles of GTD
- Is Ubuntu good for Python programming
- Which are the top rated Android games
- What is the pitch of your company
- How's the parking in Emeryville, CA.
- Is the Paris Climate Agreement good enough
- If 3 8x 1 what is x
- Why do smart people fight between people
- Is there a field of philosophy of language
- What does a copyright infringement cost
- Where does mango come from?
- Is the love of cleanliness genetic
- How do I get rid of Chromecast
- What motivates an Indian middle class