What should students do at the university

Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg

Here we answer general Questions about studying in Halle.

We describe Corona peculiarities on these Specialselite:

It is quite possible that our current video will help you answer your question (s). The video is long, so we offer a table of contents directly under the video on YouTube.

Choice of study and entry into study

Should I even study?

The Abitur is done. And then? Start studying, start training or do something completely different first? This decision is not an easy one. The following questions will help you:

  • Does studying make sense in order to be able to realize your professional ideas?
  • Are you ready to spend at least three years of intensive knowledge acquisition?
  • Do you like to work in theory? Or are you more of the "practical type"?
  • Are you ready to be financially dependent on BAföG or your parents for the next few years?
  • Can you motivate and discipline yourself enough to cope with your studies independently?

You are not sure? Then come to us for advice.

What is the difference between studying at a university and studying at a technical college / college or vocational academy?

Courses at a university of applied sciences (usually called university today) are usually more practice-oriented than at a university. This is why universities of applied sciences often include internship semesters in their courses, while knowledge at a university is mostly imparted in a very theoretical way. While teaching the basics plays a major role at the university, students at the university of applied sciences are introduced to practice more quickly. The course groups at a university of applied sciences are usually smaller and therefore more interactive, so that the seminar character is more pronounced.

The decision to study at a university or a technical college depends not least on the desired subject. Who z. If you are looking for offers in the humanities or linguistics, for example, you will more likely find it at universities. State examination courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, law and teacher training courses are also offered exclusively at universities.

Vocational academies offer dual courses of study that combine study and training. In alternation, practical vocational training phases in a company and theoretical study phases at the vocational academy are completed. This form of training is particularly suitable for those who want a high level of practical relevance and early contact with the world of work. In addition to the general higher education entrance qualification or technical college entrance qualification, a training contract with a company that cooperates with the vocational academy is required.

In countries with Berufsakademie law, bachelor degrees from professional academies are equivalent to bachelor degrees from universities of applied sciences.

A key difference between university studies and Studies at universities of applied sciences or vocational academies is available from the Access authorization. For a university of applied sciences or vocational academy, at least one certificate of the technical college entrance qualification (also known as the technical diploma) is required, for access to the university you have to prove the general or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification (this is not the same as the technical college entrance qualification!) Or an equivalent previous education.

Vocational academies offer dual courses of study that combine study and training. In alternation, practical vocational training phases in a company and theoretical study phases at the vocational academy are completed. This form of training is particularly suitable for those who want a high level of practical relevance and early contact with the real world of work. In addition to the general higher education entrance qualification or technical college entrance qualification, you need a concluded training contract with a training company that cooperates with the vocational academy.

In countries with the Berufsakademie Act, bachelor degrees from vocational academies are on an equal footing with bachelor degrees from universities of applied sciences.

A decisive difference between university studies on the one hand and studies at universities of applied sciences or vocational academies on the other hand lies in the type of access authorization. For a university of applied sciences or vocational academy you need at least a certificate of the technical college entrance qualification (also known as the technical diploma), for access to the university you have to prove the general or subject-specific university entrance qualification (this is not the same as the technical college entrance qualification) or an equivalent previous education.

What can I study at the University of Halle?

The Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg is a full university and offers a wide range of courses, from A for agricultural sciences to Z for dentistry.

The offers can be roughly divided into medicine, law, economics, theology, humanities and social sciences, natural sciences and teaching.

But there are also courses that we do not offer. These include B. Engineering study programs, veterinary medicine or vocational school teaching.

In addition to the course database with all the offers, we also have information specifically for freshmen in the welcome portal.

Which course suits my interests, skills and professional ideas?

Since no two people are the same, the answer to the question of the right educational pathway is highly individual and does not allow any ready-made solutions.

The important thing is to be aware of your own abilities, interests and any future plans deliberately to be. For your considerations, we have roughly divided our range of courses into these subject areas:

  • health
  • Cultures of the world
  • Life / Life Sciences
  • Teaching position
  • People & Society
  • music
  • Languages ​​and communication
  • environment
  • Numbers, structures and patterns
  • economic and legal

You can "check" your areas of interest in a discussion with the student advisory service for specific study opportunities. Perhaps the exclusion principle will help you beforehand?

And just ask Clara, our award-winning virtual student advisor in Studychat.

Another option: interest tests. There is now a wide range of offers, some of which are subject to a charge. We recommend the free study interest test (SIT) from University compass - a database that presents you with various filter functions of all courses at universities, technical colleges and professional academies throughout Germany. And the in-house study test focuses exclusively on our own range of courses.

Tip: Wherever you have such a test result, you will be happy to come to the General Student Advisory Service. As a professional contact, we can evaluate the tests with you in a beneficial way.

How is a course structured?

With the Bologna Process and the switch to the Bachelor and Master degrees, the structure of the course has fundamentally changed. In the past you studied without interruption until you got your diploma or master’s degree, today you get a bachelor’s degree after six semesters and you can take the plunge into the job market. Anyone who wants to specialize further or want to go into science and research follows a master’s degree, usually lasting four semesters. You have to reapply for this, although you can also complete the master's degree at another university or college.

With the switch to bachelor's and master's degrees, there was also a modularization of the course. That is decisive for this European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) with its credit points. They represent a unit of measurement for the workload of each student and are "collected" during the entire course of study through the completion of modules. Modules are self-contained teaching and learning units on a specific topic, which are usually concluded with an assessment (term paper, written exam, etc.) to be assessed. The grades are largely included in the final grade, so it is advisable to strive for good performance from the start. Above all, compulsory modules are important, which must be passed, while in the further course of the course you can often choose from several elective modules. The bachelor thesis then forms the conclusion of your undergraduate studies.

A bachelor's degree at the University of Halle always consists of 180 credit points. A distinction is made between (complete) Bachelor's degree programs and those in which two partial degree programs are combined with one another. These combined bachelor's degrees (see YouTube explanatory film) can be found primarily in the humanities and social sciences.

The system in detail and a glossary can be found here.

Teacher training at Martin Luther University has not been switched to a Bachelor's or Master's degree, but continues to end with a state examination. However, based on the bachelor’s master’s degree, the teacher training program was also modularized.

In the other state examination courses - medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, food chemistry, law - there is neither a switch to Bachelor and Master nor a modularization of the course.

Which professional fields open up with the chosen course of study?

A very common question! Unfortunately also one that can seldom be answered as specifically as those seeking advice would like. Very few courses (such as medicine, law or teaching) prepare for a specific professional field. Usually it becomes a professionalempowerment, but not a clearly defined profession. Often there is a wide range of professional opportunities, and not even necessarily in direct, obvious connection with the chosen subject.

Therefore, do you already have an eye on the professional world during your studies - for example through internships and / or part-time jobs! We present possible occupational fields in our course descriptions.

What is the semester fee?

The semester fee is a mandatory social contribution that all students, including those in connection with new enrollment, have to pay at the beginning of each semester as part of their enrollment or re-registration.

All about the application

Which study requirements do I have to meet?

To study at our university, you need a University entrance qualification. As a rule, this is a certificate of general (= Abitur) or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification. The advanced technical college entrance qualification (also known as the "Fachabitur") is sufficient Not for university studies. Foreign certificates are checked for their comparability.

There are also other qualifications that are recognized as a university entrance qualification, e.g. B. a master's degree or certificates of professional advancement qualification. If you have any questions, the matriculation office will help.

In some courses there are additional subject-specific access criteria (foreign language certificates, aptitude tests, pre-study internships, etc.) - these are described on the detailed pages in the course offerings.

Can I study at the University of Halle without a university entrance qualification?

Anyone who has already completed an apprenticeship and who has worked in the profession for at least three years can acquire access authorization for some degree programs through an assessment test for particularly qualified professionals.

Which subjects do I have to have taken in school for certain courses of study?

In principle, it is not compulsory to have taken certain subjects up to the Abitur for a course of study. So can you theoretically start studying chemistry even though you have "deselected" chemistry - practically such a constellation is usually not recommended. On the other hand, similar school subjects do not exist for all courses and often the material known from school lessons is not very comparable with the later course of study.

Proof of language skills can sometimes be proven through “consecutive school years” (or similar, depending on the passage), sometimes in connection with required minimum (average) grades. However, there are always alternative verification options for such a requirement.

What are my chances of getting the place I want to study? What is the NC and what are waiting semesters?

If there is no admission to a course and you meet all the admission criteria, you can be sure that a place is secure for you. At the university, more than half of the study programs are currently free of admission.

The term Numerus clausus Translated means "limited number". If more applicants are expected for a course than there are places available, the university can set an admission restriction (a specific number of places to be allocated) before the application period begins. Every spring, the university decides whether a subject is restricted in this way.

If the number of applicants later actually exceeds this limit, one will be awarded Selection process. The most important selection criterion for this is the average Abitur grade.

The selection limit (= NC) results firstby the respective selection process. So it is not, as is often wrongly assumed, “determined by the university”, but depends primarily on the current applicant situation. The specification of an NC therefore relates always on the previous year and is with it just a clue, but no reliable forecast (explanatory film)

If you do not have the appropriate high school diploma, the only alternative is to get as many as possible Waiting semester to collect and use it to get into the desired course. The allocation of study places after waiting semesters is independent of grades via a separate quota (so to speak, a "second pillar", albeit a significantly smaller one). If the number of waiting semesters is the same, the secondary criterion is again the Abi grade.

Please note that only the half-years after the Abitur are counted as waiting semesters in which you Not were enrolled at a German university.

Further selection criteria are currently only used for the Bachelor’s courses in Business Economics and Speech Studies.

There are completely different procedures for medicine, pharmacy and dentistry. There, the waiting time is hardly (or soon not at all) taken into account. Please refer to the linked course pages for more information.

Another option, for which you also need a little luck, is the lottery. If there are still places available after the main and replacement procedures, there will be a classic draw for the remaining places (for the winter semester: in September each year). Abitur grade and waiting semester are irrelevant here.

What do I do if I can't make up my mind (yet)?

The application deadline is getting closer and you still don't know whether you want to study in Halle and which course to choose?

  • For an initial orientation guide, please come to our General Student Advisory Service - alone or with people you know, spontaneously or by appointment.
  • Consult friends and family. Often people from the personal environment are able to assess your strengths and abilities well and perhaps show a completely new perspective.
  • If you prefer several courses of study, it is best to contact the respective student councils. Students from higher semesters are organized here, who can provide you with first-hand information and a closer look at the content and structures of the course.
  • Academic advisors can explain the specifics of the respective degree programs to you in detail.
  • More than 20 student ambassadors can tell you about life and studying in Halle from a student perspective. You can be reached all year round by email and from April to October also via the studio phone.
  • Take advantage of events such as the University Information Day (in spring), the Long Night of Science (in summer) or similar taster offers.

How do I have to apply / enroll?

Very roughly: You register via an online portal, then you have to send all of the specified documents in due time (!) And are then either enrolled (for courses with no admission) or go through the selection process (for courses with restricted admission). We describe all procedures in detail on their own topic pages.

Challenges in studying

My studies are probably not right for me. What should I do?

Especially between October and December, many first-semester students visit us who cannot really get used to the subject they have just started. We usually advise anyone who “strangers” right after the start of the lecture to “arrive” in their studies first. Give yourself at least one semester to take in your subject, to exchange ideas with fellow students and to attend the courses. It often takes a certain amount of time to get used to the many new impressions and contents and the unfamiliar level of requirements.

What if your assessment of being in the wrong degree program becomes more solid? Then you should ask yourself in what way the course does not meet your expectations.On this basis, we then invite you to talk to us. We may find a more suitable course together.

Otherwise: Back on "Go" - see the questions on decision-making: the best possible research on the course content, including contacting the helpful contact points mentioned.

I realize that I don't want to study after all. What now?

Dropping out of your studies is not a broken leg and the university entrance qualification does not oblige you to study. It could also be that a university degree does not really suit you. Perhaps you would be exactly right in a practical college or dual study course. Or just an interesting opportunity in the training area.

If you have any doubts about your decision to study, please leave in time advise to clarify all options with advantages and disadvantages up to financial consequences.

The General Student Advisory Service is happy to be the first point of contact, but will put you in contact with other advisory partners if necessary (university team of the Employment Agency; Career Service; IHK and HWK).

My studies are getting over my head - what now?

Problems in your studies can be of a diverse nature: the material is too difficult, the study workload is too high, your own time management does not work or you take over private things - to name just a few. In all cases, it is important that you contact suitable advice centers at an early stage.

If you find that your subject is simply not for you, the General Student Advisory Service can help. For topics such as exam anxiety, time management and psychological problems, the Studentenwerk has the right contact person with its advice services.

How important is practical experience while studying?

Practical experience plays an important role in a résumé. Many employers attach importance to the fact that applicants do not have theoretical knowledge of their field of study, but have also applied it in practice. Internships and part-time jobs also help to make contacts and build a network. It is often the case that graduates do not get their job through a public advertisement, but rather through recommendation.

I would like to spend part of my studies abroad. Where can I get information on this?

Sometimes a stay abroad is compulsory during your studies (e.g. for a Bachelor's degree Intercultural European and American Studies - Langues étrangères appliquées). The study and examination regulations regulate whether and to what extent this is necessary.

Of course, there is also the option of spending a certain amount of time abroad on a voluntary basis. For this z. Take, for example, the Erasmus program, with which you can spend one or two semesters at a partner university abroad.

The International Office will advise you on semesters abroad or internships.

How can I finance my studies?

Most of the students are financed by their parents. If this is not (sufficiently) granted, there are several financing options: The student union's BAFöG office is the most important point of contact. Quite a few students have a part-time job. Another option are scholarships, including the Deutschlandstipendium.

Bachelor (almost) done - and now?

Should I join a master’s degree or is the bachelor’s sufficient?

There is no general answer to this. In general, the following applies: The bachelor's degree is a first professional qualification with which - depending on the course of study - applications for a wide variety of positions are possible.

If you enjoy scientific work, if you want to specialize in certain areas of your field of study or if you have professional goals that make a master’s degree essential, you should start thinking about your choice of study in the fifth semester of your bachelor’s degree at the latest if a master’s is to follow immediately. On the other hand, a master’s degree does not have to take place immediately after the bachelor’s degree.

Two more years at university or purely in the job market - in the end it is a very individual decision. You are also welcome to take advantage of our advisory services. Qualified master's advice is also possible at the general student advisory service. Registration is required because we are preparing intensively for this. We also suggest some preliminary considerations.

Which master's degree should I choose?

Your bachelor's degree already provides a rough direction for a subsequent master’s degree. What is important now: Do you want to (continue to) study the full breadth of the subject in a postgraduate course or do you want to specialize in a subject area?

When you have clarified that for yourself (we are happy to help!), Search for master’s courses in our range of courses or nationwide with the Hochschulkompass.

Do I meet the entry requirements for my desired master’s degree?

The respective entry requirements can be found online on the detailed pages of the master’s programs. Criteria are, for example: required (bachelor's) degrees, certain minimum grades, language certificates, aptitude tests, sometimes also letters of motivation.

Some institutes offer a preliminary examination of your documents in order to clarify how realistic an approval is.

to the top