Do we have to take out insurance?

Most expect their first apartment of their own with excitement and joy. But the new phase of life is also associated with responsibility: Now you also have to take care of things that others have previously taken on for you. This also includes adequate insurance coverage.

You are likely covered by family insurance if you still live at home. However, when you move out, your life situation changes and you sometimes have to take out your own insurance. In this article you will find out which types of insurance you will need for your first home. And what are the special features of shared apartments and student residences. The most important things in a nutshell:

  • You can have your parents' liability insurance up to the age of 25 if you are still in school.
  • As a student, you will receive a discounted rate for your health insurance up to the age of 30.
  • You only need household insurance if you have your own household items.

Private liability insurance

Private liability insurance covers all damage to third party property. The skillDamage to objects, people or property be. Although it is not compulsory insurance, liability insurance definitely makes sense. Otherwise, especially at a young age, you may incur costs that you cannot cover on your own. For you as a tenant, it is sufficient if you damage the hallway or scratch the floor when you move in. A personal liability insurance protects you against this damage.

The important thing here is: As a rule, you areup to the age of 25 automatically via theFamily liabilityYour parents protected. It does not matter whether you still live at home, in your own apartment, in a shared apartment or in a student residence. The prerequisite, however, is that you are still in the school education (studies or vocational training). In addition, the study or apprenticeship must be your first and follow directly on from school.

With theAt the end of the 25th year of life or school education after all, you have to take out your own liability insurance. If you move in with your partner, you can use a joint liability policy. But be careful: Most insurance companies exclude mutual protection. It is similar with shared apartments. A special provision in the policy is recommended for this.

With private liability insurance, you can usually set the amount of coverage from around € 3 to 50 million. I recommend oneInsured amount of around € 10 million. What sounds like a lot at first, is absolutely necessary in many cases of damage. Do you hurt e.g. For example, by mistake someone, the cost of medical care can quickly run into the millions. You should therefore choose a slightly higher coverage amount.

You can take out personal liability insurance from around € 30 to € 40 per year. Students usually get a cheaper tariff. Also recommended is theProtection in the event of key loss. If you use a master key in your rental house, for example, it will otherwise be very expensive.

Health insurance

Health insurance is one in GermanyCompulsory insurance. It covers most of the medical costs. The health insurance contributions will becalculated on the basis of wages or salaries and withdrawn. Those who are too young, have a school education or do not have enough income initially remain family insured. Conversely, you need your own health insurance as soon as one of the following conditions is met:

  • You are 25 years of age.
  • You start an apprenticeship.
  • You earn more than € 450 a month.

If you have exceeded the age or income limit, you will be required to take out insurance yourself. Most health insurance companies offer special onesstudent health insurance at. The contribution is i. d. Usually including long-term care insurance at around70 to 80 € per month. Health insurance companies grant this reduced contribution for students up to the age of 30 or the 14th semester.

The following applies to trainees: You pay the same contribution rate as all other employees. This is required by law14,6 %(plus individual health insurance percentage) and is deducted from the gross wage. Exception: You receive less than € 325 wages. In this case, the employer pays the contributions.

Household insurance

Household contents insurance covers damage to household effects that you have accidentally caused yourself or that have been caused by external influences. These include:

  • Burglary and theft
  • vandalism
  • fire and water
  • Hail and storm

In general, as soon as you have your own apartment, you theoretically need your own household insurance. However, this is only the case if you have oneown household establish. If you move temporarily to a shared apartment or student residence for your studies or training, you can often still benefit from theParents household insurance benefit. Important: This must be called aExternal insurancebe noted in the parental insurance. Mostly be for it10% of the sum insured scheduled.

Co-insurance is not possible? Then consider whether it makes sense for you to take out household insurance for a flat share or a dormitory. In these cases, the rooms or apartments are usually fully furnished and otherwise insured. If you still want to take out household contents insurance for your shared apartment, there are often special conditions for all tenants.

If you already have your own household items, household insurance is worthwhile. Damage to household items can be a problem, especially for young people with little financial leeway. Household contents insurance is usually comparatively cheap and is based on:

  • The size of the apartment
  • The place of residence
  • The desired sum insured per square meter

In order to optimally insure your household, we recommend aInsured amount of € 650 per square meter. This is the only way you can be sure that your entire facility is covered in the event of a claim. An insurance of your household contents for an apartment with 50 sqm will cost you around 20 to 30 € per year.

Other important insurances

When you move out, other insurances also become relevant. These include, for example:

  • Accident insurance
  • Occupational disability insurance
  • Dental insurance
  • Legal protection insurance
  • Foreign health insurance

Whether and to what extent you need this insurance depends on you personally. Remember that as a student or trainee, for example, you are only insured in or on the way to university or work. For recreational accidents, you need oneAccident insurance. This is especially useful if you have a risky hobby.

As a 20-year-old, the probability that you will be unable to work in the course of your working life is around 43% (source: Statista). AOccupational disability insuranceis therefore extremely important. Advantage: The contributions are comparatively cheap for young people.

Without occupational disability insurance, there is no legal protection for trainees, students and young professionals for the first 5 years of employment. If you leave your professional life during this period, you will not be covered by the pension system.

It is best to obtain comprehensive information on this topic and to adjust all other insurance policies to your living conditions. Do you have aRisk hobbyor if you are particularly prone to illnesses, one or the other insurance is worthwhile. Make the decision of yours tooFinances and check your insurance needs regularly.


After moving to your first apartment, you should take care of your insurance cover as soon as possible. First, ask your parents about their insurance. You can often be insured up to a certain age and under certain conditions. In addition, many insurance companies offer special conditions for students.

Here you can find more information on the subject of your own first apartment, looking for, viewing and handing over an apartment.

Informed and secure in every situation
Our recommendation: