What happens when a baby eats cotton
Babies are more sensitive to heat than adults
Babies are more sensitive to heat and children overheat faster than adults - according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, they overheat up to five times faster than adults. Because they do not have as many sweat glands as adults and in relation to their body volume they have a relatively large surface area, so that it is difficult for them to regulate their core body temperature.
"Because children have less fluid reserves, they also dehydrate more easily," explains Dr. Dennis Woo, a pediatrician at UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica. "In addition, there is the fact that many parents - especially with their first child - tend to dress their child too warmly, which also promotes overheating. Furthermore, very young children cannot yet communicate and let us know that they are too hot is. "
Dr. According to Woo, early signs of possible overheating can include irritability, hot skin, and sweating. In newborns, a damp head or neck can indicate overheating. If young children are sweaty and have a redder face than usual, if they have a rash, if they breathe quickly and if their chest is hot, they are probably overheated. Other severe symptoms that require immediate medical attention are a temperature above 38.89 degrees Celsius, nausea and / or vomiting.
The expert gives parents of babies and toddlers the following tips on how to protect their children from heat:
- If it is hot outside, children should stay at home between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. if possible, i.e. when the temperatures are highest outside and the sun is strongest.
- When the air humidity is high, the body's own cooling mechanism is impaired and sweating is no longer as effective. Children are even more affected than adults, partly because they are smaller. Therefore, in a humid climate, lower temperatures are sufficient to lead to overheating.
- Children should drink enough when it is hot. Parents should always offer their children something to drink, ideally water for children over six months. Babies younger than six months should be breastfed or fed more frequently. Breastfeeding mothers should also take care to drink plenty of water.
- Loose-fitting, light-colored clothing, e.g. breathable fabrics such as cotton, is suitable when it is hot.
- In houses or rooms without air conditioning, room fans can increase air circulation and lukewarm baths (twice a day) provide cooling.
- When it's hot outside, most children have little appetite. This is nothing to worry about as long as you drink enough.
- Children should limit their physical activity at high temperatures and move them to cooler mornings or evenings.
- NEVER allow a child (or animal) to stay alone in the car - not even for a moment.
- In the open air, children should wear a wide-brimmed hat and apply sunscreen several times (at least sun protection factor 20-30).
- When was iOS 8 2 released
- Why is only the lower muscles contracting
- What is the correct rice bowl label
- Replace tablets computers
- How do I make odorless sleep gas
- Apple fixed the FaceTime group error
- What does lithium metal cost
- What is the way to nirvana
- Is Football Manager 2019 worth buying
- How do I avoid being photographed
- Why don't we eat when we have a fever?
- Can you force stone plants to bloom?
- How do mortgages work
- Does it bother you your friend's horoscope
- Can you decipher the word gtoa?
- How do I find a social bookmarking site
- What options are there to create content?
- What does chamber in rolling mills mean?
- How did Barack Obama transform Israel?
- Who's online right now
- How do I understand volatility
- What is preventing Coinbase from adding Ripple XRP
- What are prominent Hilar vessel markings
- What is 69
- Who is better Dembele or Asensio
- Why did you move to South Carolina
- What is the best medicine for dysmenorrhea
- Why are leaves so expensive
- How long is a king cobra
- What a race i am
- What is the antonyms of dislike
- Was Matt Damon miscast in Interstellar
- Is Toyota better than BMW
- How would you describe Kim Taehyung's personality