What does Atlantis
Atlantis is said to have been a magnificent city or island. It appears in Plato's books. This was a Greek philosopher who lived 2500 years ago.
At Plato, Atlantis is an island with a rich city on it. It was to the west outside the Mediterranean. It is also described in detail: it had walls and canals. In the center of the city there is said to have been a temple for Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea.
The people of Atlantis were said to be haughty. The gods got angry and made sure that the island was flooded by the sea. It is said to have sunk in a single night, with all residents drowned. According to Plato, that happened about 10,000 years ago.
Did Atlantis really exist?
Even in ancient times people wondered whether Atlantis really existed. Most of the time, however, the story of Plato was only taken for a narrative. Plato apparently wanted to say that one should not be haughty even when one is doing well.
In modern times, however, more and more people began to believe in Atlantis. At that time, people from Europe discovered many new countries in Africa and America. So it was easy to imagine that Atlantis was simply an island in the Atlantic Ocean. The Azores are an example of such islands. In addition, many scientists had learned Greek. So they could read Plato.
Atlantis was also so interesting because you could think of what a perfect city would look like, a utopia. For example, the Englishman Francis Bacon wrote a book called "Nova Atlantis", the new Atlantis. At Bacon, some of the inhabitants of Atlantis were able to save themselves to another island.
Since then, scholars and writers have thought about Atlantis time and again. If they found out about a sunken island, it was said to have been Atlantis. But today's scientists do not believe in Atlantis. You would see it on the ocean floor if there had been such an island in the Atlantic.
From an atlas by Athanasius Kircher, around 1669. North is below.
This is how someone imagined Atlantis in the Atlantic in 1882.
A drawing of what the city might have looked like
A postage stamp from the Faroe Islands about Atlantis
There are also other search results for "Atlantis" from Blinde Kuh and Ask Finn.
- Can any apps make your kids smarter?
- What disease makes hair grow faster
- Which is the best TensorFlow course online
- Would you consider my features to be exaggerated
- How often does the stock market change
- What is web development and web advertising
- Did America use German scientists after World War II
- Pollution is a burning problem
- What do I do now for work
- What is the synonym for Schelp
- Is crowdfunding good for investors
- What is a macroscopic approach
- Who was the first investigative reporter
- Which theorists are smarter physicists or mathematicians
- What is Mahendra Singh Dhoni's profession
- What does Elon Musk think of Stratolaunch
- Which startups emerged from hackathon projects
- What are the advantages of MBAs over CAs
- Why does Atlanta have so many trees
- Why are people afraid of germs
- Any military technology is for sale
- Does Elliott Wave work in retail
- Which are the best diversified mutual funds
- Are Dolby Atmos speakers different
- What do you think is a Zionist
- Why are black people so beautiful
- You can keep a pet cardinal ethically
- Why is logic logical
- What is Aviation and Hotel Management
- Is it weird to feel alone sometimes?
- How many languages can you write
- How could Tibet have kept its independence?
- What's the best place in Nashville