Makes us what we wear
- Browse by topicSearch our book database by subject, country, epoch, year of publication or key word.
- Book show of the weekHaven't you had time to read the newspaper or drop by us in the last few days? Doesn't matter, because here you can view our review notes from the last six days of publication sorted by newspaper or topic.
- Literature supplementsAll of our notes on the book reviews in the literature supplements from FAZ, FR, NZZ, SZ, taz and Zeit.
Translated from the English by Sophie Zeitz and Britt Somann. Our lives, our clothes: why the old oversized coat, why the red angora sweater, why the silver Doc Martens? What influence do girlfriends, men, past loved ones and the mother's wardrobe have? What rituals are there when getting dressed, what clothes do you use to wrap yourself up in a new identity? The three authors of "Women and Dresses" are interested in why women wear what they wear and what they tell us with it. A declaration of love for the emotional language that clothes speak. With stories and photos from over 500 women from around the world, including Lena Dunham, Miranda July, Kim Gordon, Cindy Sherman and many others.
Review note on Die Welt, 09/19/2015
"Women and Dresses" is not a book about clothes, but about the "thoughts of the women who wear them," explains reviewer Mara Delius. The three authors, who are also an illustrator, professor and artist, have put together a hodgepodge of texts and images (19 different striped sweaters, six different white nightgowns), poems, illustrations and brief surveys, which the reviewer leafed through with enthusiasm. For them it is as irresistible as looking into an unfamiliar wardrobe. It is never about questions that occupy the fashion magazines: If I am too fat, too thin, can I wear this or that. It's about the moment of metamorphosis, the "second invention of himself" when getting dressed, as Delius calls it.
- Trump represents true Republicans and Americans
- Where can I download Elvis Presley songs
- How are the Groupon clones doing
- What is the benefit of image processing outsourcing
- When Akado Oy was founded
- Who is the founder of CareerCup com
- Resistances are created
- JIPMER was merged with NEET
- How exactly do mirrors show the attractiveness
- How do data breaches affect consumers?
- What is PurnaAvatar
- Should I study film music
- Epistemology is very useful
- Do not wear Brahmins Janeu
- What is a GPS vehicle location system
- Why is my computer shutting down randomly?
- Is there a country without problems
- What is institutional power imbalance
- Who Owns the Sprint Backlog of User Stories
- How powerful was Minato at its height
- What are viruses that affect the eyes
- Which is your favorite sports song
- How good is the ECE at UIET Chandigarh
- Filmmakers use zoom lenses