Are there Indians in SpaceX
Native Americans: What Herb Did The Indians Smoke?
The importance of pipe smoking among the North American indigenous people is shown by the fact that they could choose from 100 different herbs for their mixtures. At least that's what European immigrants reported, who first encountered this custom in the New World. Accordingly, four different types of tobacco were also in use.
What exactly was in the tobacco pipes, however, cannot be determined without further ado, even if - like the team led by Korey Brownstein from Washington State University - you have historical pipes with remnants attached. In order to determine which typical traces a plant leaves behind, the scientists recreated Indian pipes based on historical originals and burned herbs in them that could be considered. Then they analyzed their charred remains. The elemental composition could ultimately provide information about what the pipe bowl was stuffed with, they write in the journal "Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences".
This article is featured in Spectrum - The Week, 27/2020
They then examined two old pipes that came from what is now the state of Washington on the west coast of the United States. One of them was around 1430 years old, the other came from the time after contact with Europeans. While the older tobacco of the kind Nicotiana quadrivalvis contained, came in the younger of the two Nicotiana rustica. Perhaps the taste had changed over time and smokers now preferred the stronger Rustica-Variant. This species was not originally found on the west coast. Brownstein and colleagues assume that the tribes traded in tobacco plants and seeds with one another.
For the first time it was also possible to detect a plant in the pipes that does not reveal itself through nicotine: In the older of the two, there was also smooth sumac (Rhus glabra) used. The Indians may have used this plant for medicinal reasons or because it improved the taste. The pipe from the 18th century shows that the Indians of the west coast continued to use their old varieties even after contact with the Europeans. The colonists imported tobacco from South and Central America, primarily to produce for the domestic market, but also sold the varieties to the indigenous people.
- Which is better LisKook or Rosekook
- What is hoochie mama slang for?
- When will President Obama step down?
- What is an advanced car engine
- What should we look for in YouTube
- Has Honda ever made a V8
- You can appeal a college rejection
- Are Uber drivers happy with the company?
- Which book moved you emotionally and why
- Why did Mike Tyson stop boxing?
- How do you say avoid in Spanish
- How do I remove a toilet lid
- How do people feel in socks?
- Is selvage denim better than normal denim
- Pro Ana is bad
- What's your best, this is a strange moment
- Who is coming to Thapar University this year
- Why are headphones with microphones the best
- How can I download the TikTok app
- Will there be a mobile AMD Threadripper?
- Which handguns make the loudest sound?
- EBay learned from the Amazons business model
- A special education teacher is necessary in the school
- What is the best custom made online website