What color is society
#Dressgate in February 2015 : White and gold or blue and black - what color is the dress?
Does this dress have the colors white and gold - or is it blue and black? A heated debate about the colors of a dress has been going on on Twitter since Thursday evening under the hashtag "Dressgate". Tumblr user "swiked" posted a photo of her dress and asked what colors it was because her friends couldn't agree. Some saw it as a blue dress with black lace and others as a white dress with gold lace.
When celebrities Kim Kardashian and Kayne West and pop star Taylor Swift joined the discussion, there was no stopping the question of who is colorblind here.
Hysterical users questioned the sense of sight itself. Since then, the network has been split into black and blue and gold and white. The US magazine "Wired" tried to mediate by calling two neuroscientists to help explain our visual system for social networks.
Jay Neitz, of the University of Washington, said in the 30 years researching individual differences in color perception, the differences in the photo were some of the largest he has ever seen.
The brain simply works out some color information
The brain converts stimuli that it receives from the eye into images. When it comes to color perception, everything depends on the wavelength of the light that falls on our retina. The wavelength usually corresponds to the colors that the observed object actually has because it is reflected by these. But since daylight itself has different color tones at different times, the brain carries out a kind of color correction and calculates some color information. For some people, it's more the blue tones - they see the dress white and gold. For others it is the gold tones, they then see the dress blue and black.
The photo editors of "Wired" calculated the red-green-blue proportions of a few pixels of the photo with Photoshop. How they appear to the eye, however, depends heavily on the background light. You can see that in the series of pictures that the editorial team then created. Against a white background, roughly equivalent to strong daylight, for most people the dress is blue and black. If the background is dark, it turns white and gold.
By the way, after their analysis, the scientists come to the conclusion that the dress is actually black and blue.
- What are some interesting facts about the establishment
- Is the press overwhelmed by Donald Trump
- What is your favorite technique in HEMA
- What are intrusive and extrusive volcanic features
- Which are the top rated Android games
- How do you measure the profitability of the insurance market
- How hostile to Islam is Greece
- How does diabetes affect cancer risk
- Did people believe in Modi
- What is the furthest animal
- What does a painting cost?
- What is the formula for an even acceleration
- How much does the KnowBe4 product cost
- How does religious knowledge arise
- What are Multiple Car Loans
- Are sustainable clothing really sustainable?
- Is Srilanka's economy good
- What causes saliva production
- Do you have a favorite aquarium fish
- Can an Indian adopt a foreign adult
- What are France's pickpockets
- What are relay sockets
- Why do people hunt trophies 1
- Why are horns made of brass