What happened to Greece
Greece: All news and information from the F.A.Z. on the subject
Greece is located in the south-east of Europe and is a member of the European Union. For Central Europeans, Greece is a popular holiday destination with its Mediterranean climate, numerous islands and, in some cases, very well-preserved ancient sights. Tourism is one of the country's main sources of income.
The history of Greece
In ancient times, Greece was considered the "cradle of Europe", from which great achievements such as democracy, early mathematics and astronomy, philosophy and the first medical teachings emerged. The Olympic Games also had their origins in Greece, and it was Greek authors like Homer who wrote the first great literary works in Europe. In the Middle Ages, Greece was part of the Byzantine and later the Ottoman Empire for a long time before the first independent Greek state was founded in 1830. Further provinces and islands were added successively until 1913. Today's national borders were established in the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923. After the collapse of the military dictatorship in 1974, Greece developed into a modern democracy and joined the EU in 1981.
The Greek crisis
Greece's accession to the euro in 2000, extensive infrastructure measures funded by the EU and high administrative costs combined with disproportionately low tax revenues led to enormous foreign debt, which only became public in 2009 in the wake of the international economic crisis. The financial crisis that followed caused unemployment to rise dramatically while the domestic market collapsed. Gradually, the economic climate in Greece is showing the first signs of improvement.
- What is the capital of Luxembourg
- Do you drink in coffee shops
- How is Ellen Page personally
- What are some mind blowing video game finals
- What is Google's Kubernetes project about
- Homestead relief will decrease your mortgage payments
- Why is my concrete crackling
- What was the first thing ever created
- PHP search tool
- Is personality a gift from God
- How many cities does Croatia have
- Why do Kashmiri people hate Pakistan
- Which philosophy is the opposite of deontology
- What statistics would you give Minato Namikaze
- Does affiliate marketing work for SaaS
- Can celiacia affect mental health
- Do you get enough sleep?
- What are not whole numbers
- What is the most popular Hungarian holiday
- How can cloud companies improve HIPAA compliance
- What is ferroelectric property of the material
- What is zeta in math
- How can I translate an audio file
- How do I make my gaming pc