Why don't two WiFi signals interfere?
5 Tips to Solve Most WiFi Problems
From TECHBOOK | August 29, 2020, 7:37 a.m.
Internet access has become just as important for many as a water or electricity supply. How much you depend on it, you will notice at the latest when it is disturbed. TECHBOOK shows you how to find the cause and solve the problem.
1. Select a free channel
Modern WLAN routers send signals on a variety of channels so that devices connected to the WLAN, such as smartphones and laptops, do not get in each other's way. However, it can happen that other WLAN routers also transmit on the same channels, which can lead to interference - that is, overlapping - and thus to disturbances. Find out in our guide how you can find out the best channel and set it on the router:
2. Avoid interference from other devices
If you can no longer receive the WiFi properly, the cause may be lurking in the kitchen. A microwave, for example, generates radio waves in an area that is also used by the router. Also other household appliances on frequency waves that can affect the WiFi. This also includes baby monitors and wireless mice.
3. Find the best location for the router
A WLAN router sends and receives data via radio waves on the frequencies 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Although these are well suited for fast data transmission on a direct route, they can be quickly interrupted by obstacles such as thick walls. The WLAN router should therefore always be placed in the apartment where radio waves can reach all rooms directly or through corners. Placing the router at the far end of the apartment can result in little or no signal arriving at the other end.
4. Consider repeater, powerline adapter or LAN cable
If the WiFi works properly, but the signal is too weak, you should consider improving it with an additional device. If your device is only one or two rooms further, a repeater is recommended. If it is instead at the other end of the apartment, it is advisable to buy a powerline adapter that runs directly from the mains. If the option is available, the best option is still the classic LAN cable.
5. Update router firmware and Windows drivers
The software on both devices should be up-to-date so that stable communication between the PC and WLAN router is possible. You can update the drivers for the WLAN module / card on the PC via the device manager. To update the router firmware, you need to go to its settings. With most models, this works via the browser and the IP address of the router. The required data can be found on the bottom / back or in the manual of the router.
Test the WiFi speed in your own home with TECHBOOK.
You can still do that to improve WiFi reception
- If the WLAN light does not flash and remains lit, there is a malfunction. Try to fix this by turning off the router and restarting it a few minutes later.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the software installed.
- If you are using a new Internet card or a new stick, you should perhaps deactivate the Mac address filter so that the new WLAN device can be approved.
- The client device and the router should use the same encryption.
- How is the sport fishing in Vancouver
- Arthritis can occur in multiple joints at the same time
- What is the basis of the truth
- Will Trump drop another bomb
- What is identity theft by hackers
- What are bebinca cakes
- What is a Julian Calendar
- What is the line of joy
- Are Romania and Ukraine enemies
- What are processed red meat
- What are the different types of flowers
- Why is Poroshenko still president?
- Why was Emmett Till murdered
- Automation ideas for IT
- Who is the greatest civil engineer living
- Is ice water hot or not
- What's in kosher salami
- How do I learn something great
- Is water a solid or a liquid
- When can I wear my kilt
- What if a girl calls you bruh
- Why is the human eye curved?
- What was Kickstarter's MVP like
- What makes Elon Musk a competent guide