If sparrows go, what happens?
What does the sparrow do in winter?
The sparrow likes to be quiet in winter
The sparrows - or house sparrows - in a colony often come together in their favorite habitat in hedges and bushes. Outside the breeding season and especially in winter, the animals go to their roosts very early in the day. Some breeding pairs "clean up" their nest. The songbirds exchange old for new nesting material. This is how they prepare for the upcoming breeding season in spring 2017. Sparrows that do not have a traditional nesting place can often be seen during cave inspections from February onwards. The nesting sites used are very variable. It can be, for example, wall niches, cavities under roof tiles, caves behind rain pipes or places on ivy walls.
In some male sparrows, the beak can already begin to change color: During the breeding season, the males have a black beak. With the change of color from a brownish color to black, the approaching breeding season is announced early. The plumage of the males has a more contrasting pattern than that of the females: the black throat patch and breast flap, the chestnut-brown neck and the ash-gray crown are particularly striking. The female animals, on the other hand, are dull brownish in color and rather inconspicuous. They have a gray-brown head and a light point behind the eye.
Sparrows also dress warmly in winter
House sparrows have a maximum of around 3,615 feathers in winter. In the summer, on the other hand, there are only around 3,197 feathers! The house sparrows are thus perfectly adapted to our climate. Nevertheless, it is not easy for the little bird in Germany. It lacks food and nesting opportunities - especially in the city. Because the modern developments in the settlement area make life difficult for him. New and renovated buildings with smooth facades do not offer any niches that could serve as breeding grounds. However, the main cause of its population decline is the lack of insects as necessary food for the young. Near-natural, "overgrown" green areas and native vegetation are increasingly being displaced in favor of new buildings and exotic plants. Species-poor uniform green and foreign plants are useless for sparrows, because no native insects can live there. In addition, the increased use of pesticides is making insect food scarce.
Plenty of grains and a cozy row house support the sparrow
"If you want to grab the sparrow under the wings, you can hang a sparrow row house in your garden or on your balcony - this nesting aid is specially adapted to the needs of house sparrows," explains the German Wildlife Foundation. The sparrow row house offers enough space for two families, because the sociable sparrows do not like to breed alone. You can order a sparrow row house in our shop.
With grains and seeds such as sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chopped hazelnuts and walnuts, you can do something good for the likeable sparrows in winter too - important: the bird feeder must be filled and cleaned regularly. Then hear a happy "TschilpTschilp" that translates as: "Here I am, here I stay!"
Learn the sparrow language
- What is RTP in EIGRP
- What are the most musically sounding engines
- How are nimbostratus clouds formed
- How fast can Yoda run
- Which was the first IoT device built
- Which Disney ride has the best music
- What should I do other than pray namaz?
- What is the most distant star from Earth
- Why are ghost peppers considered dangerous
- What is BIOS eist
- Is hormone a conjugated protein
- India has a website for volunteer centers
- 3D printing is kind to the environment
- What Independent Filmmakers Should Know About IMDB
- How would it feel to drown in mercury?
- What is the best attribute of the humanities
- How does negative interest work
- How is the cosine law derived?
- How is the CSU Fresno CS department
- Which country uses +6768
- How is a didgeridoo properly decorated?
- Bad teeth cause diabetes and strokes
- Which words can go before a line
- All Japanese cars are reliable
- Which is the best voice assistant
- Will Hurricane Dorian hit central Florida
- Is it safe to shop with Paytm?
- How did you start managing your finances
- Tempered glass affects the closeness
- Which is better profitability or sales
- How is the food at Amity Noida
- What is the F2FS file system
- What are you thinking these days
- Who are the daughters of the Duke of Windsor