How do I learn something great

Theme: In "something small / large", "small" and "large" are nominalized adjectives, but to which part of speech can "other" be assigned in something "other"?

As you spell all right, the words will smalland largecounted among the adjectives as they were defining adjective-typical featureshave: They are declinable, gender variable (i.e. they can adapt to a noun in terms of grammatical gender, e.g. the big dog, the little cat, the big horse) and they can be compared. In addition, they can be substantiated in a concrete linguistic utterance, and since nouns are capitalized in German, they become after somethingalso the substantiated adjectives (something littleand (something bigcapitalized. Apart from the comparability also features other-about the features mentioned, but why is it after somethingwritten in lower case anyway?

In fact, the word belongs too other-to those borderline cases in which it is often not possible to finally decide whether it is an adjective or an indefinite (an indefinite pronoun or article word). The Duden grammar counts other-to the indefinite number adjectivesby performing the following insertion test:

example

other People who other People-> possible, so is other-a number adjective

all People who all People-> not possible, so is allan indefinite


While adjectives can stand between a noun and the corresponding article word, indefinites cannot. Because other-so in contrast to allcan take this (attributive) position, it is more likely to be regarded as an adjective.

That other-is also written in lower case in substantiated form, is a spelling convention to which, however, was reacted to in the course of the spelling reform. According to the new spelling rules, the Capitalization allowed, d. H. one can something elseor something elsewrite. In German-language daily newspapers, however, the Lower case is predominantAs a study in the digital newspaper text archive of the Institute for German Language shows: The spelling something elsecan currently be found there 24,843 times (= 98%), something elseon the other hand only 531 times (= 2%).