What is the worst eating noise
Misophony: When we can't stand certain sounds
Misophony - the hatred of sounds
Almost everyone shudders when they think of how awful it sounded when Teacher used to scratch the blackboard with a piece of chalk.
But some people find it even more unbearable when the person sitting next to them just chews. That seems bizarre, or even pathological: Misophonia - literally from the Greek: "hatred of noises" - was taken as a symptom of an obsessive-compulsive disorder.
This assessment is obviously wrong. According to a study by a team led by neuroscientist Olana Tansley-Hancock, the brain activity in misophonics shows a peculiarity: the researchers measured increased activity in the anterior islet cortex for certain noises; where it is decided where we direct our attention.
Misophonists need to focus on certain sounds
A completely "normal" process, with the difference, of course, that misophonics often cannot help but direct their attention to sometimes insignificant noises: the clatter of keys, nibbling on the cob, rustling paper.
In addition, other brain regions are also more strongly activated, responsible for emotions, for example. For this reason, those affected react extremely sensitively; with racing heart, thoughts of flight and sweating.
There are autobiographical reasons why Olana Tansley-Hancock is one of the few who takes on this clinical picture. Because the researcher has suffered from a pronounced form of misophonia since she was seven. But the doctors she consulted only laughed at the child at the time.
In the meantime, the scientist has a few tricks ready to cover up her suffering. Sometimes she wears earplugs or tries - when she eats in the canteen - to mask the noises of the neighbors eating: by simply chewing in sync with them.#Subjects
- Why is engineering so expensive
- Who is the cutest Tollywood celebrity
- What does classmethod do in Python
- What was your biggest mistake in 2015
- Chemical engineering is a reliable stream
- How can I have two Instagram accounts
- Is that the conflict of interest
- What is an inbound marketing email
- How do oxygen absorbers work
- Where do people watch movies these days
- Why does pitot tube have zero speed
- How do the new gTLDs affect the search
- What are the best results for video games
- How fast is 180 WPM
- What is the title of this electronic song
- Are there alternatives to Bitcasa
- Can monster energy drinks kill you
- How has civilization helped us
- How can you graph functions with MATLAB
- What is an OTG cable
- How can I apply storytelling to motion graphics
- What is entitlement in insurance
- Sends Amazon to Maldives
- What role does the unit play
- Which metal is antibacterial
- Does the rent qualify for moving costs
- What does the Bible say about trust
- What is Euglena classified as
- What are the options for Schnauzer haircuts?
- How do you break up with children
- Why is Kaneki changing his mask
- How can I play axis and allies
- Has Judge Judy ever used a hammer