What is biological psychiatry
Other biological therapies
In addition to pharmacotherapy, psychotherapy and sociotherapy, other biological therapies can also be used for certain psychiatric illnesses. Each of these forms of therapy has been extensively investigated for its effectiveness and tolerability and is used in combination with other forms of therapy.
Electroconvulsive therapy is an effective treatment with few side effects for certain indications such as therapy-resistant severe depression. It is carried out under general anesthesia and muscle relaxation and is therefore painless.
The working principle of electroconvulsive therapy is attributed to an altered release of neurotransmitters in the brain, but the exact mechanism of action has not yet been fully understood.
Sleep deprivation therapy
Therapeutic sleep deprivation causes an acute antidepressant effect in patients with a depressive syndrome of various origins. The reason for this has not yet been fully clarified. This effect can be used in combination with other antidepressant therapeutic approaches in an inpatient setting.
In the case of seasonal depression (SAD), which is a subgroup of depressive illnesses, light therapy is an effective form of therapy. An artificial light source with the entire light spectrum except for the ultraviolet component is used here. The light intensity is between 2500 and 10000 lux and the image through the eyes is essential for the success of the therapy.
Many endogenous hormones have a significant influence on psychological symptoms. On the one hand, hormonal disorders can lead to psychiatric illnesses, on the other hand, hormones can also be used to treat mental illnesses.
Thyroid hormones, for example, have a clear mood-enhancing and drive-enhancing effect and are increasingly used in the treatment of therapy-resistant depression.
- What are some penalties faced in hell
- Would you recommend Costco for wedding invitations
- Why does sqrt2 sqrt2 sqrt2 2
- Save electricity
- Who is Sasha Fierce
- Is consumption good for us?
- Is selvage denim better than normal denim
- What happens when I'm on Quora
- How marketable are egg powders
- One can learn while dreaming
- What process takes place in the refrigerator
- How can I chop garlic
- Easier to find peace than happiness
- What are the best football biographies
- When is music useful?
- What are Connecticut's Scooter Laws
- What is production value
- What does a multiculturalism mentality really mean
- How much storage space is YouTube currently using
- How can I have better self worth
- How can gravity pull matter
- What are Italians tired of explaining
- Which websites copied Quora's user interface
- What is CC in a car