Is Chelsea Manning out of jail
Chelsea Manning400 days longer in custody and a $ 1,000 daily fine
Activist and whistleblower Chelsea Manning has been in prison since March 8 this year and will have to stay there for at least 400 more days. She should remain in custody until she testifies against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange or the legal limit for custody is reached.
Since she does not testify and will never testify herself, she has also had to pay a daily fine of US $ 500 since mid-June. This penalty rose to $ 1,000 last Monday.
"Future earnings" expected
The US District Judge Anthony Trenga ruled last Monday that Manning would not be allowed to hear about her financial ability to pay the fines. Manning asked for such a hearing because, according to her legal representation, she is unable to ever pay the fine. She has almost no financial means and previously lost her apartment.
Trenga argued in his decision that the activist could either “give in” or would have the financial capacity after release. She would have “current and future income” to enable her to do so.
Repression against whistleblowers
Julian Assange was arrested in April and has also been in custody since May 1 of this year. He was sentenced to 50 weeks' imprisonment after a British judge found he violated his bail conditions after entering the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Assange was on trial for rape in Sweden. He remained in the Ecuadorian embassy since June 2012.
Assange's friend Ola Bini was arrested in Ecuador on April 11th. He was released after 71 days in prison, but is not allowed to leave the country.
Correction from October 11, 2019: Anthony Trenga's job is district judge, not federal judge as previously written.
Would you like more critical reporting?
Our work at netzpolitik.org is financed almost exclusively by voluntary donations from our readers. With an editorial staff of currently 15 people, this enables us to journalistically edit many important topics and debates in a digital society. With your support, we can clarify even more, conduct investigative research much more often, provide more background information - and defend even more fundamental digital rights!
You too can support our work now with yours Donation.
About the author
- Whatever happened to jazz music
- What non-professional jobs require excellent knowledge
- Is AOC popular within the DNC
- Wine attracts insects
- How do ducks waterproof their feathers?
- There are many job vacancies in Ohio
- What are the logarithmic relationships or rules
- Why do we do marketing
- What makes a duck a duck
- Could lifting dumbbells cause a hernia
- The people of Israel celebrate Valentine's Day
- Why are fat, wrinkled dogs considered cute?
- Which algorithm is used in face recognition
- How does physiotherapy work
- What is water repellent
- What is a boil or a boil
- Take your job seriously
- What is meant by system space
- What is the basis of the truth
- How much muscle does drumming build
- What is a green roof ROI
- What is x if 15x 30 90
- Which country sees the most on YouTube
- How does schizophrenia relate to psychology?