People still use hot water bottles
Hot water bottles: tips on buying
Hot water bottles are a tried and tested home remedy for cold weather and for stomach pain or tension. When purchasing, consumers should pay attention to the size, weight and material used. Because not all hot water bottles are free from pollutants.
How warmth works
When the skin close to the painful part of the body is heated to over 40 degrees Celsius, the body activates heat receptors. These inhibit the function of the pain receptors and thereby relieve the pain in the short term. In addition, the heat leads to a general state of well-being and relaxation.
Size, weight and reference
A hot water bottle shouldn't be too big, especially for children. The more water that fits in, the heavier the filled product becomes. A model that is too heavy could be uncomfortable, especially when the hot water bottle is to lie on your stomach. Hot water bottles with a cover usually feel more comfortable on the skin. In addition, the cover can be washed and changed at will.
Material: PVC or rubber?
Hot water bottles are usually made of PVC or rubber.
- PVC hot water bottles are usually odorless and optimally adapt to the body. They can last for several years depending on the frequency and type of use.
- Hot water bottles made of rubber are often made of natural material such as rubber. They can become porous over time and therefore usually don't last as long as PVC hot water bottles.
Hot water bottles made from both materials - PVC and rubber - can contain pollutants and burst when filled with water that is too hot. Therefore, consumers should pay attention to quality seals such as a TÜV certificate when buying and read the instructions for use carefully before using them for the first time.
Plasticizers in hot water bottles
Plasticizers, so-called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), are used in the manufacture of many hot water bottles. After prolonged skin contact, PAHs are suspected of being carcinogenic, altering the genetic makeup and impairing fertility.
There are guide values for the maximum PAH concentration. For objects with skin contact that can be foreseen to last longer than 30 seconds, the guideline value is 10 milligrams per kilogram (mg / kg). Hot water bottles without a test seal such as a TÜV certificate can contain considerably more.
Check hot water bottle for damage
Before putting water in a hot water bottle, you should check the bottle and the cap for damage. If the material is brittle or there are other signs of wear and tear, you should no longer use the hot water bottle. After five years at the latest, a hot water bottle should be exchanged for a new product.
Fill hot water bottles safely
Do not put boiling water in a hot water bottle. Because the resulting water vapor expands in the bottle and can cause the hot water bottle to burst. This can cause severe burns.
Optimal water temperature
For adults, the water temperature in the hot water bottle can be up to 60 degrees. Doctors recommend 47 degrees as the ideal water temperature. For children, the temperature should not be higher than 40 degrees to avoid burns.
Never put a hot water bottle directly on the skin. Special covers or a towel protect the skin from burns. However, towels can slip relatively easily.
How long does a hot water bottle keep warm?
The most common hot water bottles usually hold their temperature for over an hour. In order to extend the time in which the bottle remains warm, you should first heat the water as usual and add it to the hot water bottle. Add a few spoons of salt to the hot water bottle, then close the bottle and shake well so that the salt dissolves. This way the hot water bottle should stay warm longer.
Warming patch: useful for pain?
Heat patches are supposed to relieve muscle pain, for example on the back or neck. However, the application does not always make sense. And in many cases there are cheaper alternatives. more
This topic in the program:
Market | December 16, 2019 | 8:15 pm
- Which books are good for the EAMCET
- Was German unification important in the 19th century
- What are some smaller niche aerospace companies
- What is a PCTG material
- Should the US control rap music
- What are you doing this week
- What are the secrets of Shradha Kapoor
- FedEx is slower than UPS
- How do you dictate punctuation to Siri
- Have propane forklift batteries
- How do I buy Bitcoin in Turkey
- What kind of mom is an INFJ
- How is the NCC Navy group
- How do I buy assets
- How much do you love physics
- Where is Ryukyuan spoken?
- What does Artemis give
- Where is the area code 647
- Where are habits stored in the brain
- How do you debug your brain
- What is a good joke about copying
- What is the importance of conductor insulation
- Has anyone used tap clicks
- Did McDonalds change their nuggets
- How is an ISFP psychopath
- Do you have grooves
- Which framework conditions should I learn first
- Frankincense essential oil is safe to ingest
- Is unrequited love over hyped
- Whose game is cricket
- How does Google get money
- Where can I watch Naruto episodes online
- The word God is a concept