Can a trauma damage long-term memory
Memory: This is how we shape and forget memories
Memory wants to be explored
When we recall a memory, different parts of our brain communicate with each other, including regions in the cerebral cortex that are responsible for processing information; Regions that process our sensory impressions; and the medial part of the temporal lobe, which appears to help coordinate the process. A recent study examined the retrieval of newly created memories in humans: The researchers found that at the moment of remembering, the waves of nerve activity in the medial temporal lobe synchronize with the waves in the cerebral cortex.
Yet many of the secrets of memory remain unsolved. How exactly are memories coded within neural groups? How far are those nerve cells distributed over the brain that code a certain memory? To what extent does our brain activity correspond to our experience of memories? These areas of research could one day provide new insights into how the brain works and how to treat amnesia.
For example, recent research has shown that some memories need to be consolidated again each time they are retrieved. That would mean that the act of remembering would temporarily make a certain memory malleable - it could then be strengthened, weakened or otherwise changed as needed. During such a reconsolidation, memories could be more easily treated in a targeted manner, which could also be used in the treatment of mental illnesses such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
U.S. National Library of Medicine: Memory
Neuroscience - Exploring the Brain, Third Edition
Skill-memory consolidation, Behavioral Brain Research
Memory reconsolidation, Current Biology
Digit-span assessments, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- How is the mafia doing in Detroit
- How does an electric train work 3
- What is conspiracy and blackmail
- How can I download Hollywood dubbed movies
- Who gave the concept of mental health
- How is shrink film made
- What is an adventurous forest near Karnataka
- How tall was Wilhelm the Conqueror
- What is the most snobbish town in Massachusetts
- What is the formula for an even acceleration
- Which parks start with the letter T.
- Why did Itachi smile before he died
- What is your favorite roller coaster
- Is satanism legal in Romania
- Which is more relevant Facebook or Twitter
- What career is recommended in physics
- What is 7x5 3 5x0 7
- What is the best discount Firstcry coupons
- Might the Hulk pick up Thor's hammer
- Why did McDonalds fail in South Asia
- What laptops are touchscreens
- Hackintosh is as secure as a Mackintosh
- Who is the WWE Ch
- What is Technical Analysis in Forex Trading
- What would be the best social work
- What's the lowest fraction in math
- Underwater volcanoes cause tsunamis
- Issues vehicle registration renewals to HEB
- Individualists worry when society falls apart
- What are Transformers Cybertronians made of specifically
- How powerful is the position of the foreign minister
- How could Ruby be improved?
- Which is the largest hospitality group
- Is participation in an exam important for a DU?