Are there male midwives?
Maternity care workers: That's how difficult it is for male midwives
Konstantin Wroblewski is a pioneer in the delivery room. The 21-year-old is on the way to becoming a midwife - more precisely: maternity care worker, as the job title for male representatives of the profession is. Finding an apprenticeship position was not that easy.
Wroblewski is one of the very few maternity care workers in Germany because the job is firmly in the hands of women. An internship sparked interest at Wroblewski. Working with mother and child is a lot of fun, says the young man from Saxony-Anhalt.
He is only allowed into the delivery room at the end of his first year of training. But baby visits are already on the agenda. "Some of them are so cute that I would love to take them home with me."
At first there were only rejections
Wroblewski started his training in October 2017. The first applications were only rejected. "It felt like 100," says the blond young man. It finally worked in Ansbach, Bavaria.
Jasmin Driver-Meyer, teaching midwife at the Ansbach Clinic: Using a plastic model, she explains the anatomy of women to Konstantin Wroblewski using a cross-section with a baby in the stomach. (Source: Daniel Karmann / dpa)
At the beginning of his training, older female colleagues in particular had a problem with him. Now it is different. Sisters, mothers and classmates, "they are fans of Konstantin", says the senior teaching midwife Jasminreiber-Meier. "Midwife" they call the trainees sometimes in jest.
There are so few obstetricians in Germany
According to his vocational school in Ansbach, the ANregiomed academy, three men are currently completing training to become obstetricians in Germany.
According to the Federal Statistical Office, not a single man was trained in the profession in the 2016/2017 school year. In 2016, the statistics authority counted four maternity nurses who were permanently employed in a German hospital.
- How does Fox News shape your opinion
- How do refugees live in Lebanon
- What is the line of joy
- Where do Amazon employees shop
- Which actors tend to exaggerate
- Loves Cersei Myrcella and Tommen
- What if a girl calls you bruh
- Why are Finnish metal bands very successful
- What rhymes with sold
- Is 60 is a must for IT companies
- What is Steven Spielberg's weakness
- What does hard green slime mean
- Why are Royal Marines called Bootnecks
- What was Simba's mother's name
- What is 65 of 05
- How do you measure the relative humidity
- How well Messis dribbles
- What types of smells usually trigger migraines
- What are the best live songs
- Which coastal region has a mild winter?
- How can I master Python scripts
- What's your favorite Leonard Cohen song
- Can pregnant women drink egg-liqueur?
- How high can a Loewe jump