What are SkyMiles good for?
Easily save AAdvantage miles from expiry
With American Airlines' frequent flyer program AAdvantage, award miles expire after 18 months. However, every activity, i.e. earning or redeeming at least one mile, extends the validity of all miles by further 18 months. That's why it's relatively easy to prevent miles from expiring with AAdvantage. All you have to do is collect or redeem miles on a regular basis!
If you urgently need an activity on the AAdvantage account, there are a few simple and inexpensive options:
1. Donate at least 1,000 miles & stop miles from expiring
A very quick and easy way to do something good is simply to donate miles. If you donate at least 1,000 miles to one of three organizations, the validity of all miles is extended by a further 18 months:
Even if American Airlines writes that the donation can take up to 48 hours, the miles were debited directly from me and the expiry date has been postponed by 18 months.
Unfortunately, AAdvantage does not disclose the dollar equivalent of the donation. You will not receive a donation receipt either.
Alternatively, you can donate at least $ 25 to two organizations and receive 10 AAdvantage miles for every US dollar.
2. Buy miles
Another option is to buy miles. For $ 35 (~ € 29) you get 1,000 miles. However, you have to buy at least 2,000 miles = $ 70 (~ € 57).
By the way, there is often a bonus on the purchase of miles. Sometimes you get twice as many miles for the same price. It can make perfect sense to buy the miles and spend them on a first class flight with Etihad or Cathay Pacific, for example.
3. Transfer miles
With AAdvantage you can also transfer miles to another account. Not free of charge, of course - but cheaper than buying miles: For every 1,000 miles you pay $ 12.50 + a one-time processing fee of $ 12.50:
This will not win you miles, but you will extend the miles of two accounts at the same time by 18 months each.
4. Transfer points from Marriott Bonvoy to AAdvantage
You can transfer Marriott Bonvoy points to many frequent flyer programs. AAdvantage is one of them. You can convert the points into AAdvantage miles in the ratio 3 = 1:
However, the transfer can take a few days. At the same time you can also buy Marriott points: 2,000 points cost $ 25 (~ € 21). If you want to stock up on more points, you also regularly receive a bonus on the purchase of Marriott Bonvoy points.
There are many more options. For example, you can subscribe to magazines (for which a US address is required), shop via the eShopping portal, register with AAdvantage Dining and eat in a participating restaurant in the USA or simply have a Oneworld flight credited to AAdvantage.
If you have any other useful ideas, feel free to leave a comment.* What the asterisk means: For links marked with a *, we receive a commission if a booking or a certain promotion is made via the linked provider. There are no additional costs for you and we can offer you travel deals in return without annoying advertisements. We do not receive any money for simply setting the link.
JohnI founded Travel-Dealz in 2010 and have been writing about the latest travel deals every day. Since I was 17, I've been looking for ways to fly as cheaply as possible. With my knowledge, I try to do exactly the same for you. If you have a question you can always contact me! Just write me an email to: [email protected] Please do not confuse this with a travel agency.
You might also be interested in:
- Why is MetaTrader such a popular platform
- What is the best folding bike
- Is it illegal to smoke while pregnant?
- What's good about Google+
- How can I not be embarrassed
- Makes you live longer with more oxygen
- What is the most expensive plane ticket
- What is Suggestive Selling Techniques
- Who is China's greatest pop star
- How efficient are online ad markets
- Is canned bread healthy
- How does vinegar cure toenail fungus
- Can I code as a CEO
- Why is logic logical
- Why and by whom was SAARC founded
- What music does your playlist consist of
- 12 is a prime number
- What are the Forbidden Songs
- Why is Google stopping YouTube games
- What causes bronchial asthma
- How color affects search engine optimization
- What are shallow copies and deep copies
- How is htc m10
- Why did Osho fail
- Where to buy sour honey
- What are the properties of semiconductor material
- One-way plastic mirrors are available
- One-way plastic mirrors are available
- What's the best song by Ariana Grande
- How can you identify South Indians
- Why was Dollhouse canceled
- Who created conspiracy theories?
- What is a crosscut and drift