What do viruses need to survive
How long coronaviruses survive on surfaces
Coronaviruses can survive at room temperature for up to nine days on surfaces such as door handles or hospital bedside tables and remain infectious. This is what researchers from Greifswald and Bochum report and explain how such coronaviruses can be inactivated or reduced.
How long do coronaviruses live on surfaces such as doorknobs or hospital bedside tables? What are the effective means of killing them? Researchers from Greifswald and Bochum have compiled and published the answers that are based on reliable scientific facts (see Journal of Hospital Infection, online publication on February 6, 2020).
The novel coronavirus (Sars-CoV-2) is making headlines around the world. Since there is no specific therapy against it, the prevention of infections is particularly important in order to contain the wave of disease. Like all droplet infections, the virus spreads through hands and surfaces that are frequently touched. "In hospitals, these can be door handles, for example, but also bells, bedside tables, bed frames and other objects in the immediate vicinity of patients, which are often made of metal or plastic," explains Prof. Dr. Günter Kampf from the Institute for Hygiene and Environmental Medicine at the University Medical Center Greifswald.
Together with Prof. Dr. Eike Steinmann, holder of the Chair of Molecular and Medical Virology at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB), he had already compiled comprehensive findings from 22 studies on coronaviruses and their inactivation for a planned specialist book. "In the current situation, it seemed to us the best to publish these secured scientific facts in advance in order to provide all information at a glance," says Eike Steinmann.
The evaluated work, which deals, among other things, with the pathogens Sars and Mers coronavirus, showed, for example, that the viruses can stay on surfaces at room temperature for up to nine days and remain infectious. On average, they survive between four and five days. "Cold and high humidity increase their service life even more," says Kampf.
Tests with various disinfectant solutions showed that agents based on ethanol, hydrogen peroxide or sodium hypochlorite are effective against the coronaviruses. If these active ingredients are used in the appropriate concentration, they reduce the number of infectious coronaviruses by four so-called log levels within one minute - for example from one million to just 100 disease-causing particles. If preparations based on other active ingredients are used, the product should be proven to be at least effective against enveloped viruses (“limited virucidal”). "Usually that's enough to significantly reduce the risk of infection," says Günter Kampf.
The experts assume that the results from the studies on other coronaviruses can be transferred to the novel virus. "Different coronaviruses were examined and the results were all similar," says Eike Steinmann.
Source: Ruhr University Bochum
- © Picture Factory_Fotolia.com
- Will OneCoin collapse or not after ICO
- What's the scariest
- Can RH negative delay get pregnant
- Liberals are more stupid than conservatives
- Can they make bulletproof smartphone screens
- What is a didgeridoo made of
- What are some of Rod Stewart's songs
- Has the Gulf Stream changed course?
- What is meant by personal utopia
- How does the Recurse Center make money
- What state did you hate to live in?
- How is Hamlet estranged
- Is stalking normal for a narcissist
- Our career depends on grade 12
- What does hashtag Staystrongrose mean for BLACKPINK
- American colleges have soccer teams
- How do I charge alkaline batteries
- What is the Marx view of religion
- How many users does Pingdom
- What does cyanide do to the body?
- What are the characteristics of Kraempfen
- You can finish the basic training
- What is a yono account
- How much does the KnowBe4 product cost
- What is an advanced car engine
- Is addicted to sugar
- How can I create an audio app
- Why is it called Times Square
- Which is the safe city for travel
- What is shvs
- What is the name of a fear of intimacy
- Imagination is a lazy man Sci Fi
- Why did you leave Vermont